Wednesday, July 30, 2014

International Birthday

So once again it was that time of year! July 17 I celebrated my 24th birthday and first birthday with my hubby. Robert brags about his gift because he brought me to Germany. Yeah. So as I explained earlier Robert manages a musician named Origa. Origa had a concert at a convention in Germany and as a joke (but completely serious) Robert asked if Olga would put me on the contract so the convention would pay for me to go. She said yes and I got to go. Our trip to Germany was HOT. I would say it was hotter than Cuba last year and possibly more humid.

We left SLC at 10 am Wednesday July 16 had a layover in New York at JFK then flew from JFK to Frankfurt. We arrived in Frankfurt Thursday July 17 at 10am. I had had a cold and completely lost my voice and wasn't sleeping well already. Then I had to try to sleep on a plane. This was a wonderful experience. In the SLC airport I loaded up on NyQuill to try to knock myself out but it didn't work.

When we arrived in Frankfurt Robert and I had only slept for 6 hours over the past 48 hours. We were both quite grumpy and hungry. We were greeted at the airport by two girls from the convention, Jenny and Sonja. Sonja was Origa's personal assistant for the weekend but really she just hung out with me because Origa was in her room between performances. We went and picked up Seiya shortly after we were arrived. After Seiya arrived we went to our hotel to freshen up. I took a mini nap before we went out to wander the streets of Frankfurt with our tour guide Sonja. We went to an authentic German restaurant and got schnitzel and sausage and sourkraut. It was so yummy. So much better than the one we have here in Utah! After we walked around and went in a couple of shops. We were mostly just really tired so we asked to go back to the hotel. When we got back to the hotel I took a nap again while Robert and Seiya worked. We planned on meeting everyone for dinner that night but when we went down there Sonja wasn't there. Seiya, Robert and I decided to go to an Italian restaurant in the mall by our hotel. Robert got pizza, Seiya and I got pasta. They were all super delicious! After dinner we were all SUPER tired BUT Sonja found us and was having a heart attack thinking she had lost us so we had to talk to her and calm her down. We were back at the hotel when Robert's friend Chaz showed up at our hotel. He is in the Air Force and based a couple hours from Frankfurt so he decided he wanted to make the drive to see Robert. We hung out with him for an hour and then passed out. Chaz slept on the floor in our hotel room.

Friday we woke up and ate delicious breakfast provided by the hotel. They made crepes fresh right in front of you and they could make any type of egg as well. I probably ate 20 crepes during our stay. Along with the crepes they had eggs, potatoes, sausages, fruit, cheese, cold cuts, cereal, bread, pastries and of course coffee and fresh juice. The weird thing was they had miso soup, fried fish and rice. I guess they get a lot of Asians...Chaz, Robert and I ate breakfast before Chaz and I took off on our adventure. After spending an hour searching for his car we finally found it and headed out on our journey. We drove for about an hour before reaching our destination. We went to Heidelberg and enjoyed the castle. It was AMAZING! After the castle we went to his Air Force base to get some gas before going to his house to rescue his adorable dog, Thor. Once we picked up Thor we went to another castle. This one was only a few minutes away from his house.

 (Can we just talk about how amazing it would be to live a few minutes away from a castle)

We went and took Thor for a walk around the castle which was also awesome. History is pretty cool. I think I get that thinking from my dad. After the castle we brought Thor home and went to get some dinner since we hadn't eaten since breakfast. The only thing open was Burger King so we went there. I thought it was funny that I went to an American restaurant while in Germany. I've heard people say fast food is better in other countries but it was basically the same. After eating we started our journey back to Frankfurt. They were having a BBQ at our hotel for the convention so we had some more sausages. After the BBQ we went to the room and crashed while Robert worked his little butt off. 

Saturday was convention day. We had to wake up early and eat breakfast. They had french toast instead of crepes so I was slightly disappointed but it was still delicious. The convention officially started at 10 and then I sat at our booth selling product until 9 pm when Origa had her concert and I was too tired and hungry to do anything. 

Sunday was our last day in Germany. We did convention stuff until 6pm and then they took us to dinner. Once again we went to an Italian restaurant. I got pasta and Robert got a pizza again. His food was WAYY better (mostly because I am picky about sauces and I didn't like the sauce) It was really fun to sit around with our four German hosts, Origa her two German friends, Seiya and Robert. Robert made some balloons which is always fun for people. When we went back to the hotel Robert had lost his balloon bag so we had a slight freak out about that. We finally went to sleep around 1 am just to wake up at 5 am for our return flight. 

The airport was weird. They use the hall as the main waiting area and then they have smaller waiting areas for each flight where you have to give them your ticket to get in. After we waiting in that area they started "boarding." I use the quotes because they had us walk to the door and down some stairs to a bus that took us to our plane where we walked up a ramp to get in. That flight was pretty fast just to Paris. We got pastries instead of cookies or pretzels which was awesome. When we got to Paris we had to take another bus to take us to the terminal. Once we got to the terminal we had to walk through customs. Once through customs we had to take an elevator to another terminal. From that elevator we took another bus to get us to the next terminal. When we arrived at that terminal we were finally in the right destination to find our plane. We stopped at one of the little shops and got a sandwich, soda, water and chocolate cake. We went to board our flight and of course I got picked for a random check. When you get picked now you have to turn on all your electronics and guess what, my laptop was dead and I didn't have the converter. So we had to find a converter and plug it in. This probably took at least 15 minutes of me following some french guy around that was on his phone the whole time while I was holding my laptop and cable. It was incredibly annoying. Finally we boarded our flight and Robert and I passed out. We slept for a good chunk of time and then woke up and watched endless amounts of free TV. Our lunch on the flight was chicken curry and it was freaking DELICIOUS! Finally we arrived at home and dad picked us up from the airport with Boston in tow. I was the happiest mom ever to be back in the US and to have my baby back. I missed him lots while I was gone. 

Overall it was a tiring trip but I guess you could say it was successful. 

No comments: